Erik's Terraria Server
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Building Materials

4 posters

Go down

Favorite Building Materials Empty Favorite Building Materials

Post by Vince 26/1/2013, 12:36 am

As an avid Terrarian Architect, I have some blocks, walls, and decoration that I prefer, and others that I don't. What are your favorite building materials? For me:
Top 3 Blocks:
1) Gray Brick: Plain, simple, not too flashy. That's what I like about it. This type of block, to me, is the most versatile building material in Terraria. If you look at my houses, they are all mostly gray brick structures.
2) Glass: Unique in that it is see-through. It captures and enhances lighting, and when used in conjunction with gray brick, dazzling patterns can be born. See My Incandescent Castle in the gallery for an example of this.
3) Silver Brick: A very alluring shiny quality, captures the eye. However due to its own sheen one should not overuse this brick- may cause some gaudy- looking buildings. This brick also enhances lighting.
Top 3 Walls:
1) Gray brick wall: Like its gray brick counterpart, this wall is plain and simple, with very versatile designs when used in conjunction with glass walls.
2) Glass Wall: Unique because it is see through. VERY useful for window designs.
3) Copper Brick Wall: Good, but not to be overused. Looks nice in conjunction with gray brick walls.
Top 3 Furniture:
1) Table: Good space filler; also can be enhanced when other furniture (such as candles/clay pots) are placed on it. Versatile.
2) Chair: You can't have tables without chairs!
3) Clay pot. Blooms beautiful color- enhancing flowers when left untouched. You can also put various seeds in it to specify the color.
Top 3 Lightings:
1) Gold Chandelier: Just... perfect. Lots of lighting, looks good in general...
2) Candle: Nice look to the sprite. Also useful because it can be placed on tables and wooden platforms, which is rare.
3) Colored Torches: Only looks good when used correctly.. not to be spammed everywhere in every which color. Again, see My Incandescent Castle for a colored torch example. My personal favorite color is yellow torch.
So, now that I've expressed my opinion, let me hear yours! It doesn't have to be as long as my post

Vince
Vince
Server Administrator
Server Administrator

Back to top Go down

Favorite Building Materials Empty Re: Favorite Building Materials

Post by JakeZGamer 26/1/2013, 2:02 am

Top 3 Blocks:
1) Blue Brick: Good for dark mansions. Fits greatly with dark lightings such as a water candle and blue torches. See my first build, my Blue Brick Mansion, you can see it is fully made in blue brick, no other kind of brick/block at all.
2) Gold Brick: Bright color. Fits greatly with gold - made lightings such as candles and gold chandeliers. See my Gold Brick Hotel (GBH), you can see it is fully made in gold brick, no other kind of brick/block at all. I have lightings in there made of gold such as candles and gold chandeliers, and one water candle in each room.
3) Pearlstone Brick: Commonly used in spawns, space stations, and space shuttles/ships/rockets. Very bright color as well, fit in a dark place. To be used as a white brick. Fits greatly with white torches. See my space station in the Gallery, since it is griefed completely, you can see all the rooms of my station. It is fully made in pearlstone brick, no other kind of brick/block at all.
Top 3 Walls:
1) Blue Brick Wall: Matches Blue Brick. Makes buildings look darker as well. Not much detail.
2) Gold Brick Wall: Matches Gold Brick. Makes buildings look like a dungeon, but if used with correct lighting, makes it look bright and shiny.
3) Pearlstone Brick Wall: Matches Pealstone Brick. Very bright wall if used with bright lighting such as white torches. Very fit with spawn and space shuttles/rockets/stations/ships.
Top Furnitures:
All of them :3 . I use all furnitures in all my buildings.
BUT mostly banners. Very good for decorations :3 .
Top 3 Types of Lighting:
1) Bright Colored Torches: Obviously very bright. Good for bright bricks such as pearlstone brick and gold brick. I prefer white for pearlstone brick and blue and red for blue brick. I don't prefer them on gold brick though, because I don't use it on there.
2) Gold Chandelier: Commonly used on almost all builds or buildings. Very bright, commonly used in wiring. Similar to a candle.
3) Candle: Since it is crafted with gold, it greatly fits gold chandeliers and gold homes. Very bright as well. Not commonly used in wiring.
JakeZGamer
JakeZGamer
Server Moderator
Server Moderator

http://aboutz.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealUltimario1337 28/1/2013, 4:13 pm

I Dont really like gold bricks, just because most of the smaller houses have gold walls and gold bricks and it kinda ruins the fun feeling of having "gold"

I do like the colored torches and grandfathers clocks though..
TheRealUltimario1337
TheRealUltimario1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Gathor 3/2/2013, 10:32 am

my favorite brick is hellstone but in my opinion its more about the combination you use in order to create contrasts, for all bricks have the same potential.
but i guess thats just the pixel artist in me speaking x)
i usually like to combine a darker non-shiny brick with an ore-based brick (for example my mythril mansion) to create that contrast i talked about.
as for other materials:

top 3 lighting:
1) demon torches: gives a really gloomy feeling to the building. also changes color :D.
2) colored torches: i mostly use them to "color in" darker areas. i also like to use them to create a mood for the building.
3) chandeliers: very classy. color should be picked corresponding to the brick combination used.
(for example: if you used a lot of "cold" colors silver fits best. unless you want the lighting to be the contrast)

top 3 furniture:
1) mannequin: wow... just wow. this little guy has so many uses :D. use him as decoration, use him to populate your building, use him for a row of armors etc.
2) statues: i particularly like the pillar statue for it has more purpose than just standing somewhere being pretty. mainly for decoration purposes.
3) throne: no castle or mansion is complete without one
Gathor
Gathor
Server Accessory
Server Accessory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down